Growing your own food is easy, once you’ve done your prep and planning firs.. you will be successful with a beautiful season and yield. This is lesson 1 from RSI Green Energy Network G.E.N.A. education program….
How To Sow seed ?
1) Choose the right location or the the safest site (Do this in your garden and you will increase your success in planting)Whether you grow your garden in the ground, in containers or hydroponically choosing the right site is important. Sun is the most important part to a successfull garden. 8 hrs of light is the minimum requirement to grow plants. Plants that grow without fruits tend to require less sun than plants that flower or gives fruit.
2) How much sun do you get in a day?, you need at least 8hrs of direct sun light morning sun is the best due to the lower temperature are better in the morning.
3)Your grow medium is what holds your nutrients and stabilize your plants, The health of your soil is the next consideration when planing a garden, or using a F.O.O.D. system. For hydroponics , Hydro-ton , Rock-wool , gravel, lava rock, and pebbles are commonly used. For containers,—pead moss, garden soil, and traditional farming which is seed in the ground.How does it drain, and do the water pools or dam up? Always test your soil every year for toxins and ph.
4) Water well, irrigation of a garden is the third important grow tip that is vital to all plant growing, water delivers to the plant nutrients that is vital to a plants size and yields. If planting new grow beds, slightly dampen the soil, then dig to a depth of about two inches, breaking up large dirt clods and remove stones. Spend three to four inches of compost (make it yourself) over the bed and add an organic fertilizer according to label instruction. Mix all of the amendments evenly into the soil, then level the ground Water well and let the improved soil settle for a few day before planting .Where soil is extremely poor, plant in raised beds or containers.
5) Create a sketch of your garden,this is the fun part! Measure your area you will be designing , and layout on a piece of construction paper or note pad. Write the measurements and make sure that what you are growing will fit in your garden.
6) It is important to budget plot or container,soil or hydroponics, fertilizer, then you can do this as a season, yearly, monthly budget.
7) Edibles pull nutrients from the soil, water, and air. But while they are growing they generally need a supplemental boost, especially if they’re grown in container, we recommend using organic fertilizer, particular for edible gardens, they release their nutrients more slowly into the soi.l Chemical fertilizers which dissolved in water, act faster than organic, but most do not last as long in the soil. So, whatever you choose to use be sure to follow package direction carefully.
8) Be realistic about how much time you want to dedicate to building and maintain your garden. This will influence both your design and the expenses of intended construction.
Sustainability Strategies ecology concerns the creation and flow of energy among the plants and animals in a system referring to as a ecosystem there is much we can do to make your garden sustainable
Soil structure, develops over a long time. It contains space and channels that allows for the circulation of oxygen, water and nutrient. Under structure soil has the best structure and should be used.
When I prepare my soil I take all the dead leaves that fell in autumn, put it in the grow bed. Where it sits and breaks down. In a very short time it makes great compost.
Organic VS. Synthetic Nutrients
That green and blue power has it advantage it can be mix right away no need to wait for it. Down side is you can over do it making to hot for plants, look at the label of what is in the nutrients by volume potassium, sulfur, magnesium. Composting is a more natural way is to get high quality nutrients, the down side is that the amount of composting you will need take time to make or cost are added to your budget to purchase it.
Use these tips for grow your garden and you will have the best grow season that urban farming can give. Next week we will talk about environmental conditions that effect growing.
Check this out=========>We can do this for you.